The Alibaba Group’s inaugural Gateway ’17 conference wrapped last week in Detroit with more than 3,000 business owners and entrepreneurs coming together to explore the opportunity to market and sell to millions of Chinese consumers.
Over the course of the two days, attendees heard from Executive Chairman Jack Ma about his entrepreneurial story, Alibaba’s success amid tough competition, and his advice for small businesses that want to tap into China’s consumer base.
Notable quotes from Ma include:
- “The next 30 years, they (the Chinese middle class) are going to fundamentally change the landscape of the economy.”
- “I think a basic understanding of data analytics is incredibly important for this next generation of young people. That’s the world you’re going into.”
- “Small business, you have nothing to lose. The only thing you have to lose is the opportunity. Lose the hope, lose the future.”
- “If people trust you, that’s the most valuable thing.”
- “If we can help one million small businesses online and each business can create one job, we can create one million jobs.”
On the show floor, the Ali Baba Group announced two new partners: Driscoll’s and Chicken of the Sea for its Tmall platform. These companies will bring U.S. food products to China, providing Chinese consumers with the option to purchase fresh strawberries as well as high quality seafood directly Tmall. And 100% Pure, a company that has successfully sourced from Alibaba for 10 years, announced that they have started selling to China. In total, the Group has 15 customers on-site including: Stadium Goods, UPS, Gerber and LuckyVitamin.
Source: Media Release